DIY Accent Table

DIY Baseball Accent Table

Since the baseball season has wrapped up around here, I thought I would squeeze in one more baseball related post real quick. I wanted to share with you all the details of the baseball accent table that I originally shared in a guest post on the Arts & Classy blog. So, lets get on to the details, shall we?

We acquired this little blue accent table thanks to my youngest son's persistence. A neighbor of ours refinishes furniture and we stopped by for a visit and he refused to leave without this table. Credit to him though, this table is the perfect size for his room and is light enough that he can move it around himself. The only problem, the minty color and lace pattern didn't really go too well with his room.

Mint and black accent table-before

To get started, I gave the entire table two coats of an ivory colored paint that I already had in my paint stash. This is the perfect base color for the baseball. Ahhh, much better already!

Ivory base coat on accent table

The most difficult part of this entire project was finding something in the house that was the right shape to trace onto the tabletop for the seams of  the baseball. I finally found an oval shaped platter that was just the right size. I laid the platter on the table and just eyeballed where I thought it should to go, once I was happy with the placement, I traced it lightly with a pencil. Then repeated the process on the other side.

Outlining baseball seams in pencil

Now, for the fun part. Again raiding my paint stash I grabbed a bottle of red acrylic paint and a small paint brush. I painted two coats over my pencil lines, and tried to not worry too much about the lines not being perfect. Then, I moved onto painting the thread part of the seams, again not worrying too much about perfect lines and even spacing.

Painting the baseball seams on the table

And here it is, all finished up. In a perfect world this would have received a couple of coats of a spray sealer. But you can't use them in high humidity, and I think the humidity on this day was hovering around 70%. So, I will be waiting until the end of the summer to seal this baby.

Baseball accent table


Baseball accent table

This little table has been the perfect addition to my son's room, and it was quick and super inexpensive too! Do you have any quick furniture updates you have made with a little extra paint?

Comments

  1. Omg, so cute and creative! Pinned your adorable table:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog on the Commona-my house blog. I love to see ideas that people have recycle. This is definitely a great idea for a boys room. You did a great job. I would love it if you would link up with us at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!


    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/clever-chicks-blog-hop-45-with-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS!! What a fun little table!

    Thank you for sharing at Give Me The Goods!

    Amber@ Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  4. So darn cute and creative!!!

    Thanks for linking up to Throwback Thursday!

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable! My grandsons would love, love that table! Great job!

    Thanks for joining our party at Throwback Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw this at the DIY furniture party, and it's awesome! I love painting furniture too--very addictive. Have a great week. Dee :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute idea!! My son would love that- super creative:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey there!! Let's chat!

Popular Posts